I avoided doing a liver cleansing diet for a long time – a very long time. Who would deliberately take all the interesting foods out of their life and replace them with raw or steamed vegetables? Did you hear that? That was my stomach talking – because unless you’ve been living under a rock, the head knows that a healthy detox is a necessity and the best natural detoxification for anyone eating a western diet.
It’s not just rich or fried foods but also the amount of processed food in our diets. And you don’t really need to take a month off to do a healthy detox. But you do need to have your head right and some determination.
The daily rounds of refined, glossy but nutrient poor trash we throw down our throats and hurl towards our livers puts a huge burden on our bodies. Most of us walk around with very tired, frustrated livers that simply can’t keep up with the volume and variety of toxins they need to eliminate so we can live healthy lives.
A liver cleanse diet is designed to benefit the liver by naturally cleansing excessive toxins, helping the liver to work its finest. Not going to happen if the stomach gets its way.
A liver cleansing diet can help improve immune function, allergies and even help with weight gain. Everyone can benefit from doing a liver cleansing diet. But you have to start with really wanting and determined to do it because before you know it those cravings and addictions you’ve been housing for most of your life will be calling you.
And even though you’re head will know what’s best for you, your stomach will be teasing you to lighten up, do it another time and set yourself free. After all, if your friends, family, lover, husband or wife really loved you they’d stop nagging you and see the inner you! Well, no matter what lies you tell yourself to get out of your liver cleansing diet the ghost of Christmas pudding will be haunting you again – because you’re not doing this to be loved – you’re doing it for your health.
Okay, seriously if it’s all too hard stop reading here but if you’re ready to get the most from your liver cleansing diet then listen up.
It’s good to drink lots of fresh, preferably filtered water, vegetable juices and eat fresh fruit. Not too much of anything; your goal is to lighten the load for your organs. Your food intake can increase again after you’ve done this for a few days.
Here are a few body detox diet tips you should consider before you start:
1. The easier and simpler you make it, the longer you can manage this kind of healthy detox.
2. Don’t detoxify if you’re pregnant, having your period, just had major surgery or have a serious medical condition. Get medical advice if you’re not sure.
3. Plan your detox with the right foods, clear your calendar and anticipate side effects. (The more often you do this the less often you’ll get any side effects.)
4. Don’t overeat. Reduce the burden on your organs for the greatest benefit - so eat small to moderate size meals through the day.
5. Eat your largest meal at breakfast and the lightest and smallest meal at dinner.
6. When was the last time you got eight hours of sleep a night? This one thing alone can help your liver recuperate from the year’s indiscretions.
7. Avoid fatty and processed foods – take them out of your universe and banish temptation – or else you are doomed.
Once you’ve let go of some of the rubbish in your body and your head you’ll probably find you sleep better, feel lighter and less sluggish.
But before you can have this great new energized and evolved you, you have to let go of all your past patterns of eating late, eating rubbish and eating and drinking too much. Don’t do it because others are telling you to - because you will fail – do it because you are the master of your universe and in that universe you are fit and healthy. Doing a liver cleansing diet will help you get that feeling again.